Archive for the ‘iPods’ Category
MacMedics is an Apple Authorized Government Reseller
MacMedics has been supporting federal, state, and local government with proven and effective Apple solutions since 1989. As an Apple Authorized Government Reseller with over 25 years of Apple consulting and service experience, MacMedics has the solutions to stabilize your Apple environment, improve productivity, and enhance performance.
We can recommend, configure, pre-test, deliver, and install any Macintosh computer you require; from Mac Minis or iMacs to custom-configured MacBook Pros and Mac Pro towers, as well as Apple iPads, iPods, and the Apple TV.
We have the distinct advantage of being one of the first ever Apple consultants and we’ve built that 25 years of expert Macintosh consulting, service and sales into an impressive list of government clients who rely on MacMedics:
Anne Arundel County Public Library
Executive Office of the President
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI)
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
General Services Administration (GSA)
Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Naval Research Laboratory (NRL)
Prince George’s County Government
Prince George’s County Police
Small Business Administration (SBA)
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
United States Department Of Commerce (DOC)
United States Department of the Interior (DOI)
United States Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS)
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM)
United States Mint
United States Naval Observatory (USNO)
United States Postal Service (USPS)
Here is what our contact at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said about MacMedics via a review on our profile on the Apple Consultants Network (ACN) website:
“MacMedics has been my go-to service provider for over ten years. They provide speedy, honest assessments, with reasonable rates. I can count on them to solve my problems quickly, and get me back to work in no time. They are the pros!”
Contact your local MacMedics office to request a quote for new Apple hardware for your agency.
The world’s most popular music and portable game player now comes in a 16GB model.
The new 16GB iPod touch (5th generation) features an ultrathin design in black & silver, 4-inch Retina display, A5 chip, and FaceTime HD camera. It replaces the 4th generation models.
The 32GB and 64GB iPod touch (5th generation) models with the iSight camera and iPod touch loop continue to be available.
TODAY’s Matt Lauer speaks with digital expert Mario Armstrong about possible new features for Apple’s iPhone 5 and how this model will be different from earlier versions.
Mario gives MacMedics owner Dana Stibolt a mention during the interview.
In the shop, when I am advising MacMedics clients, I find myself going back to this blog post from www.younghouselove.com over and over when advising folks on backups: 9 Things We Wished We Did Before Our House Burned Down.
I’ve posted a recap with some of my own thoughts with an emphasis on backups and insurance.
We deal with clients almost everyday who have lost their data by way of hard drive failure, but lots of other clients, some who were even backed up, have lost their data in some other way.
Even if you don’t make it over to www.younghouselove.com, please take a minute to read these highlights with some MacMedics tips:
1. Subscribe to an online data backup service (The writer of the original story says: My external back up drive sat right next to my laptop in my office).
2. Keep passports in a safe deposit box. [MacMedics Pro Tip: Make copies as well, and store a digital copy in your new online backup service too! Dropbox might be a good place. Also when traveling copy medical docuemnts, drivers license, passport, and other fiels you might need onto an encrypted and password protected thumb drive.]
3. Take pictures of each room initially and update them as improvements are made (storing them somewhere offsite – like Flickr).
4. Take pictures and keep hyperlinks of all expensive purchases, including jewelry.
5. Hire an architect (my dad in our case) or use floorplanner.com to document each floor layout along with precise wall/ceiling measurements, each outlet, light switch, crown molding, other trim, type of flooring, any unique items to structure of property. [MacMedics Pro Tip: When you rebuild, the insurance company will try to pay the lowest amount by building things as basic as possible. By having a detailed floor plan with engineering plans along with pictures of each wall, you can force them to build it the way it was!]
6. Put phones in a consistent place each night. [MacMedics Pro Tip: iPhone is right there 24/7!]
7. Get fire ladders for any second floor bedrooms.
8. Scan each photo and receipt, again keeping them offsite, or on an online data backup service.
9. Do not be frugal with homeowner’s insurance. Spend the extra $50 per year for the most coverage. [MacMedics Pro Tip: Highly recommended! Buy a replacement policy rider for anything you have that is valuable. If your $3000 camera or computer system burns up, it’s going to be hard to get the full amount. Insurance might pay for $500 to $1000. Also, see SafeWare.com for computer insurance. If you don’t own your home, get renter’s insurance. It’s super cheap! Clothes are also not fully covered in most polices. If you had to replace every single piece of clothing your family owns, that could cost you $10,000 right there. Insurance will not cover all of that that.]
Links to MacMedics’ special pricing for Mozy.com and Crashplan.com
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
• Improves reliability of using HDR option for photos taken using the Lock Screen shortcut
• Addresses bugs that could prevent the new iPad from switching between 2G and 3G networks
• Fixes bugs that affected AirPlay video playback in some circumstances
• Improved reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and Reading List
• Fixes an issue where ‘Unable to purchase’ alert could be displayed after successful purchase
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
There is really no substitute for accurate and authorized Apple repair service. Our talented and Apple Certified Macintosh techs solved another problem for two different Apple customers who both took the time to leave a 5-Star Review for both our Millersville and Lanham offices this week.
When you’re having issues with your Mac, please come visit our fully staffed and stocked offices in either Millersville or Lanham, Maryland. We’ll fix your Mac under Apple’s Limited Warranty or Apple’s extended warranty, AppleCare. Or, we can efficiently service your out of warranty, vintage, or obsolete Macintosh. When your Mac repair is complete, we’ll ensure you know everything you need to know in order to preserve and protect your valuable data and operate your computer successfully for as long as possible.
We love to help! So instead of making an appointment, trying to find parking, dealing with crowds, or having to worry about your data being erased, or having to deal with your computer being shipped away for repair, come see the Apple Certified Technicians at MacMedics.
Thanks to our customer, Mark, who had his Mac serviced in our Lanham office this week. Here’s his review from Yelp:
My Macintosh desktop computer had a complicated problem; part of the electronics had failed, while most individual components were fine. Since MacMedics is a certified Apple Service Provider and Reseller MacMedics correctly diagnosed the problem, which endless Apple phone support had been unable to do. The replacement part and labor were free, since my computer was still covered by the AppleCare Protection Plan. My computer now works better than when it was new. I also got some excellent technical advice on maintaining the computer, including information on back-up plans. I highly recommend MacMedics.
Also, thanks to our customer, Richard, who had his Mac serviced in our Millersville office this week. Here’s his review from Yelp.
Small repair. Done in a 15 minute walk up. Best service I have had in a long time. Highly recommend!
MacMedics is an Apple Authorized Value Added Reseller, an Apple Authorized Government Reseller, and an Apple Authorized Service Provider, as well as being Certified Members of The Apple Consultants Network and Apple Developers. With two offices in the State of Maryland, and one in Philadelphia, we are well positioned to provide our famous, award-winning support and service to the Baltimore and Washington DC areas, as well as Northern Virginia, Wilmington, Delaware, Philadelphia Metro area, and Southern New Jersey.
The Apple Value Added Reseller authorization is top tier reseller designation by Apple. Apple Value Added Resellers and Apple Specialists are the same level of Apple sales authorization. Apple VARs generally have a deeper focus on Apple solutions as well as consulting and service. Apple Specialists usually have more of a retail sales focus. Both Apple VARs and Specialists are Apple Authorized to resell Macintosh computers, Apple software and accessories, as well as iPads, iPods, and Apple TV. Neither are permitted to resell the iPhone.
With MacMedics’ 25-years of service and support to the Washington DC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia areas, we’re proud to be authorized by Apple for both Apple sales AND service. As an Apple Authorized Value Added Reseller, we are authorized by Apple to resell Macintosh computers, the Apple iPad, the Apple iPod, and the Apple TV.
Here’s more information on Apple Authorized Value Added Resellers from Apple:
Independent Apple Value Added Resellers (VARs) are professionals authorized by Apple to deliver customized, market-specific solutions. Combining their technical knowledge with industry experience, Independent Apple Value Added Resellers can help you simplify and enhance your technology—leading to improved business processes and increased success.
Working with an Independent Apple Value Added Reseller, you gain:
• Customized multi-platform solutions
• Professional, industry experience
• Apple trained and certified expertise
• Proficiency in Apple and complementary products
• Additional services to support your business
Specialized Solution Expertise
Trained in Apple and complementary technology, working with independent Apple Value Added Resellers means that you’re getting high quality service and expertise. In addition to providing technology solutions, many independent Apple Value Added Resellers also provide additional services, such as: strategic planning, system design, and training.
Things to consider when choosing an Independent Apple Value Added Reseller:
• What is their specialized expertise
• What are their qualifications and certifications?
• Are they an Apple Authorized Service Provider?
• What other services do they offer?
• Will they integrate third-party products you need?
• Do they provide on-site services?
• Will they provide customer references?
iOS 5 Software Update
This update contains over 200 new features, including the following:
• Swipe from the top of any screen to view notifications in one place with Notification Center
• New notifications appear briefly at the top of the screen
• View notifications from lock screen
• Slide the notification app icon to the right on the lock screen to go directly to the app
• Send and receive unlimited text, photo, and video messages with other iOS 5 users
• Track messages with delivery and read receipts
• Group messaging and secure encryption
• Works over cellular network and Wi-Fi*
• Automatically organizes magazine and newspaper subscriptions on Home Screen
• Displays the cover of the latest issue
• Background downloads of new issues
• Reminders for managing to do lists
• Syncs with iCloud, iCal and Outlook
• Location-based reminders when you leave or arrive at a location for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
• Built-in support for Twitter
• Sign-in once in Settings and tweet directly from Camera, Photos, Maps, Safari and YouTube
• Add location to any tweet
• View twitter profile pictures and usernames in Contacts
• Camera improvements for devices with cameras
• Double click the home button when device is asleep to bring up a camera shortcut on iPhone 4S,
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
• Volume Up button to take a picture
• Optional grid lines to line up shots
• Pinch to zoom in the preview screen
• Swipe to camera roll from preview screen
• Tap and hold to lock focus and exposure, iPad 2 and iPod touch (4th generation) only support exposure lock
• Photo improvements for devices with cameras
• Crop and rotate
• Red eye removal
• One tap enhance
• Organize photos into albums
• Mail improvements
• Format text using bold, italic, or underlined fonts
• Indentation control
• Drag to rearrange names in address fields
• Flag messages
• Mass mark messages as flagged, read or unread
• Customize mail alert sounds
• Calendar improvements
• Year view on iPad and new Week view for iPhone and iPod touch
• Tap to create an event
• View and add event attachments
• Game Center improvements
• Use personal photos for your Game Center account
• Compare your overall achievement scores with your friends
• Find new Game Center friends with friend recommendations and friends of friends
• Discover new games with custom game recommendations
• AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S
• Multitasking Gestures for iPad
• Use four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen
• Swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar
• Swipe left or right to switch between apps
• On-device setup, activation and configuration with Setup Assistant
• Software updates available over the air without tethering
• iCloud support
• iTunes in the Cloud
• Photo Stream
• Documents in the Cloud
• Apps and Books automatic download and purchase history
• Contacts, Calendar, and Mail
• Find My iPhone
• Redesigned Music app for iPad
• Hourly weather forecast
• Real-time stock quotes
• Wireless sync to iTunes
• Keyboard improvements
• Split keyboard for iPad
• Improved autocorrection accuracy
• Improved Chinese and Japanese input
• New Emoji keyboard
• Personal dictionary for autocorrection
• Optionally create keyboard short cuts for frequently used words
• Accessibility improvements
• Option to light LED flash on incoming calls and alerts for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4
• Custom vibration patterns for incoming calls on iPhone
• New interface for using iOS with mobility-impairment input devices
• Option to speak a selection of text
• Custom element labeling for VoiceOver
• Exchange ActiveSync improvements
• Wirelessly sync tasks
• Mark messages as flagged, read or unread
• Improved offline support
• Save a new contact from a GAL service
• More than 1,500 new developer APIs
• Bug fixes
Products compatible with this software update:
• iPhone 4S
• iPhone 4
• iPhone 3GS
• iPad 2
• iPod touch (4th generation)
• iPod touch (3rd generation)
* Normal carrier data rates may apply. Messages will be sent as SMS when iMessage is unavailable, carrier messaging fees apply.
MacMedics is an Apple Authorized Value Added Reseller for Macintosh computers, iPads, iPods, and the Apple TV.
Apple Announces iOS 5 and iCloud Availability
iOS 5 and iCloud will be available on October 12, 2011.
iOS 5 is the world’s most advanced mobile operating system. It will be a free software update for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, and iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation).
iCloud is Apple’s breakthrough set of cloud services and will be available as a free download to iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users running iOS 5 and Macs running OS X Lion. Using iCloud with a PC requires Windows Vista or Windows 7.
iTunes 10.5 is required for iCloud users. It will be available soon as a free update.
Apple Announces New Features and Lower Pricing for iPod touch and iPod nano
iPod touch now comes in black or white models and starts at just $199 (U.S.). It ships with iOS 5, with over 200 new features that include iMessage, Notification Center, Twitter integration, Reminders, and more. iPod touch is ready for iCloud, which stores your music, photos, documents, apps and more, and wirelessly pushes them to your other devices.
iPod nano now starts at just $129 (U.S.) and features a redesigned Multi-Touch user interface with larger icons, 16 new clock faces (including Mickey and Minnie Mouse), and improved built-in fitness features. iPod nano features the same great clip-on design and bright colors.
Are you ready for a new iPod or iPad? MacMedics is an Apple Authorized Value Added Reseller for Macintosh computers, iPads, iPods, and the Apple TV. If you have a broken, damaged, or even an old dead iPod or iPad, or just want to trade up to the newest model, we’ll give you a trade in credit towards a new iPod or iPad, and recycle the old one thru the proper recycling channels (if it’s no longer working). Call us at 1-866-MAC-MEDICS for more details!